Monday 26 February 2007

Sea breezes

Last day in Malaga - and another couple of hours on the beach. Time once more to ponder. Well that's what beaches are for.
As the afternoon wears on, there is a strong sea breeze. This has happened every day, but is not something which happens here in the middle of summer. Why is that?

Here again I need more Geographic information than I have. But I suspect that the explanation is something like this. The temperature in Malaga is now 21C. This is much higher than it has been recently and crucially is much higher than the temperature of the water. I did in fact go for a (very short) swim today and can personally vouch for the fact that the water is still very cold!

So I guess the temperature of the air above the land is higher than the temperature of the air above the sea. Warm air rises. Therefore I suspect that as the warm air rises above the land, the space below that warm air sucks in the colder air from the sea. This effect is more pronounced in the middle of the afternoon when the temperature on land is at its highest. And thus we have quite a strong sea breeze.

In the summer, the water is much warmer than now in February (I certainly hope it will be) and the air temperature differential between land and sea is less significant. Thus the sea breezes which would be so welcome in July, unfortunately do not happen.

I am not sure if this is a correct explanation, but is seems logical to me.

I return to London tomorrow, so will leave with a picture of the Malaguata beach this afternoon looking northwards from Malaga towards El Palo. Back I understand to a London which is wet and windy.