Wednesday 28 March 2007

A sense of perspective

I think it is ironic that as technology moves on and millions start to use GIS either on the internet or in sat.nav. devices, one effect will be that we will lose a sense of perspective and a sense of scale.

Yes I use Streetmap or Google maps if I need to know at street level where a particular street or building is. I use them if I am meeting someone or have to get to a building I do not know. I love the car sat.nav. if I have a really obscure route to take.

But neither of these pays particular attention to North or South. They won't tell me where my destination is in relation to the rest of the country. They won't give an overall picture of the countryside.

So I will use them with caution. In some instances they are incredibly useful. But for some instances, and particularly for general knowledge and interest, I will be happy to stick with a paper map. Sometimes I want to enjoy the journey rather than get obsessed with reaching the destination. Geography should encourage exploration, it should feed curiosity. I fear that sat.nav. devices will destroy both.