Thursday 20 December 2007

Tsunami

The blogs have dried up recently, partly because I have been too busy to find the time. And now here I am away from work in Patong Beach in Thailand.

And sitting at a beach bar having breakfast and watching the world go by, I cannot help but think of the people who were going about their daily lives, whether locals or tourist, when the tsunami struck three years ago. The bay currently looks so peaceful. The destroyed buildings have been rebuilt. And I dare say lives have also been at least partically rebuilt.

But geography has a part to play in both forecasting disasters and in helping the relief teams after disasters. And with flooding becoming the norm in the UK and global warming leading to more severe weather conditions worldwide, we must put the GI response to disasters up the agenda. I hope that we will do this in 2008.

In the meantime, I shall return to enjoying the marine facilities of this area.