Sunday 28 September 2008

Parliamo Geo

I have been with the AGI now for over three years. I arrived as the Finance Officer from the world of the arts with no knowledge of GIS.

As the recent debate about the content of this year´s conference has shown, there is an ongoing debate within the GI world on many subjects and particularly about the march of technological progress and its effects. I wish I understood more about the issues, but somehow I don´t always grasp the nuances of the debates.

I don´t think I am stupid. So why are the concepts so tricky for me? I have tried my best, as shown by the existence of this blog. But now I am beginning to think that the problem is not the concepts themselves, but the language used by geographers to explain the concepts. This language is evolving as a tool for geographer to speak to geographer. But as geographers learn that language and use that language, it creates an increasing barrier between the geographers and the layman. And an idea only takes shape once language is used to communicate that idea.

So ironically, just as the technology is making GIS more accessible to the public, the language is making GIS increasingly less accessible. It is almost as if geographers are uncomfortable with widening access to their ideas beyond a perceived audience.

I have always assumed that the concepts are too difficult for me to grasp, and rather accepted that position. But what if the concepts are easy and it is only the language which is difficult?
That doesn´t leave me in any better a position, but it does prevent me from doubting my own intelligence.

At the recent AGI Conference, I was room monitor on a number of occasions. And during some of these presentations, I felt that I was listening to a foreign language. Yet at other times a complicated concept became obvious because of the skills of the presenter.

The balance between being patronising and being elitist is a fine one. When I produce my finance reports, I realise that they must be accurate and comprehensive, yet understandable to a range of readers. And if occasionally I repeat things or become too simplistic, well to be honest that is fine if at the same time this makes issues understandable to all.

So rather than giving up on GI concepts, I shall now listen to presentations or read reports with a more questioning attitude on the language used. And maybe, just maybe, I shall reach enlightenment, if not yet, perhaps, nirvana.