Wednesday 10 January 2007

Reflection

Ten days in - and of course I am questioning the raison d'etre of this blog.

Firstly of course I am writing to myself. Is that one step worse than talking to myself? Probably.

And this is blog about Geography written by someone who knows nothing about the subject. How silly is that? It's a bit like Ann Widdecombe wring a good sex blog or Jade Goody doing a philosophy blog.

And then although I am writing from a personal capacity, I am aware that I work for the Association for Geographic Information, albeit as the finance guy. This is a members-based organisation and of course I cannot say anything that would upset, disadvantage or unduly favour any of our members. That caveat might become rather restricting.

But the blog is a journey of understanding. Starting very much from square one. And already I have felt that the discipline of writing the blog had been helpful to me. I have no idea where this journey will take me. I will hit barriers of understanding I am sure. The jargon will be a problem, the acronyms also. But in order to meet my responsibilities to both the AGI and to our members, I believe that I really do need to gain further understanding of Geographic Information and all the concepts which are wrapped up within those two words.

So onwards and upwards. And please click here for a rather amusing lesson about the countries of the world.