Monday 1 January 2007

A non-geographer's perspective

Welcome to the blogsite of someone who rather unexpectedly finds himself working in the world of geography without having any particular knowledge of this world and who, even more surprisingly, is getting enthusiastic about geography and all that it offers.

This blog will hopefully record my day to day involvement in geography, the issues and the opportunities.

I am the Chief Financial Officer with the Association for Geographic Information (the AGI). Yes I'm an accountant. Not a geographer. But I am passionate about the importance of the AGI to both those already in the geographic domain and those who need and use geographic information (GI) even if they perhaps do not realise that they do use GI.

I hope that I can simply record my thoughts, my views and my perceptions as a non-geographer for whom the world of geography pays my salary and forms my working environment.

The AGI is an umbrella organisation for individuals, companies and organisations who use geography. It is I believe an important resource. It speaks for its members, and consequently this blog cannot, and will not, make personal remarks against any individual or organisation within our membership. But I hope I can give reactions which might be of interest to those on both the periphery and the centre of the world of geography.

Lets see what happens.