Saturday 6 January 2007

Map Action

There are many commercial members of the AGI who are involved in producing GIS software. But I confess that I am not sure exactly what each does and for whom.

At the 2005 annual conference I attended a talk by Roger Wedge of Map Action and suddenly I was introduced to a use of GIS which I has simply not envisaged.

Map Action are a mainly voluntary group who swing into action whenever there is a major natural disaster. They arrive with their laptops and remap the area so that aid agencies can get their relief to outlying areas quickly and safely. This is how they do it.



Recently they have been working in Kenya and previously they helped in Indonesia, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. They do an amazing job and put geography in the forefront of aid deployment. I am pleased that we have given them honorary corporate membership of the AGI.